Sunday, November 28, 2010

First Seven Days of Advent Calendar Topics

 First Seven Days of Advent Calendar Topics

 I still seek Guest Posts for one or more of the days of Advent - see the following
Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - first seven days.

December 1 – The Christmas Tree
: Did you have a real tree or was it artificial? How big was the tree? Who decorated the tree? What types of Christmas trees did your ancestors have?
December 2 – Holiday Foods
: Did your family or ancestors serve traditional dishes for the holidays? Was there one dish that was unusual?
December 3 – Christmas Tree Ornaments
: Did your family have heirloom or cherished ornaments? Did you ever string popcorn and cranberries? Did your family or ancestors make Christmas ornaments?
December 4 – Christmas Cards
: Did your family send cards? Did your family display the ones they received? Do you still send Christmas cards? Do you have any cards from your ancestors?
December 5 – Outdoor Decorations
: Did people in your neighborhood decorate with lights? Did some people really go “all out” when decorating? Any stories involving your ancestors and decorations?
December 6 – Santa Claus
: Did you ever send a letter to Santa? Did you ever visit Santa and “make a list?” Do you still believe in Santa Claus?
December 7 – Holiday Parties
: Did your family throw a holiday party each year? Do you remember attending any holiday parties?

If you have a one, two or three paragraph comment you would like to include here, send it to me by email, or even in the comments here, and I will include it in the post for the correct day; likely along with my own comments. Let's give it a try.


Families are Forever!  ;-)
Publish Post

3 comments:

  1. What a great memory worker Bill! Love the questions! As I put up my own Christmas tree this past weekend, I often thought of the decorating in our home growing up - Mom always decorated the tree - at least in my later years. All the kids in the house got a new ornament every year. Nothing "Hallmark" but just a simple ornament, marked with our name and the year. When I was an adult, I received all of the ornaments to put on my own tree and I've continued this tradition with my own children. They get a good laugh at me when I pull out a Pooh Santa from 1973 and say "awwww" every year. I also have a few heirloom ornaments from my Grandmother and still receive a new ornament from my Mom every year. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill,
    I have written an Advent Calendar post to be published Dec 1 for Geneabloggers. See my blog at Hanging From the Family Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When was a young child, we had a real tree probably about six feet tall. My parents and my youngest brother and I usually decorated it together. After it came down after New Year's Day, it seemed like we were picking needles out of the carpet for months.
    Sometime during my teen years, we got an artifical tree. It always sat on the top of the TV. I don't know what year it was but could probably tell from pictures. Since my mother was allergic to real trees perhaps she didn't want to mess with it after my father died. I still have this tree in my basement and sometimes bring it upstairs for a second tree.

    ReplyDelete